Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crack in air tank

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:12:15 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On 2012-06-20, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I have a 30 gallon Dayton tank, about 25 years old. It developed a
crack right next to where a leg is welded on. The tank had the failure
early in it's life at about 5 years old. It's been sitting ever since.
Grainger wants $600 now, I think I paid $200. It has a 5hp Kellog
American 2-stage pump that has very few hours on it after a re-deux. At
one time it was hooked up to the system as a 3rd tier back-up and the
tank was bypassed. It only ran during a monthly test.

I'm thinking of adding it as an air supply on the far side of the shop,
about 150' as we are making additional work cells there.

Can I repair it and get it certified or should I Send it out to be
repaired? I've seen exploded tanks and I hope to avoid that.

The cheapest would be to buy another used compressor and use its tank.

That's the first thing I did, it seems like tanks or complete
compressors are at a premium here right now. The cheapest I found was
an 80 gal. for $500 with a pump that "needs work". Freight from out of
town is a killer.

It will only be high while you need it. Soon as you're done, you'll
see one for give away. VBG

Another possible is 100 lb. LP tanks. The valve just threads off and
you have 3/4 NPT. Makes a great surge tank and little floor space.

Karl

That's what I have for my compressor tank. Might not pas department of
labour or OHSA muster though.