Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Finish for Outdoor Redwood Furniture

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 05:13:53 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

I am building a couple of Adirondack chairs from Redwood. I found
some nice clear Redwood for most of the visible slats, arms etc.
Under-structure is construction grade Redwood. This stuff is hard to
find in Kansas.

I want to preserve the color and not let it gray out. I have googled
and found lots of recommendations for oils including teak oil and
others. So many variations I am about as confused as when I started.
A suitable penetrating oil seems to be the way to go. Do any of you
guys have experience with a similar project? They will be outdoors.

Thanks
RonB

Penofin. I've used it on furniture and I'm in the process of
rebuilding my deck with Tigerwood decking. The Penofin oil makes it
look beautiful. Other wood that I've coated once a year still looks
good and has not grayed out.