Posted to rec.woodworking
Baron[_3_] Baron[_3_] is offline

Default Finish for Outdoor Redwood Furniture

"RonB" wrote in message
I am building a couple of Adirondack chairs from Redwood. I found
some nice clear Redwood for most of the visible slats, arms etc.
Under-structure is construction grade Redwood. This stuff is hard to
find in Kansas.

I want to preserve the color and not let it gray out. I have googled
and found lots of recommendations for oils including teak oil and
others. So many variations I am about as confused as when I started.
A suitable penetrating oil seems to be the way to go. Do any of you
guys have experience with a similar project? They will be outdoors.

Thanks
RonB

I suggest you use the least expensive oil or oil / film finish mixture
you can find that is suitable for outdoor use. None of these finishes will
last more than a year or three. The wood turns gray due to light and water.
You will have to retreat every year. One goal is to use something that you
will not have to apply more than once a year. I do not think you would want
to apply the oil twice or three times during the spring or summer months.

Good Luck.