Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crack in air tank

On 2012-06-20, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I have a 30 gallon Dayton tank, about 25 years old. It developed a
crack right next to where a leg is welded on. The tank had the failure
early in it's life at about 5 years old. It's been sitting ever since.
Grainger wants $600 now, I think I paid $200. It has a 5hp Kellog
American 2-stage pump that has very few hours on it after a re-deux. At
one time it was hooked up to the system as a 3rd tier back-up and the
tank was bypassed. It only ran during a monthly test.

I'm thinking of adding it as an air supply on the far side of the shop,
about 150' as we are making additional work cells there.

Can I repair it and get it certified or should I Send it out to be
repaired? I've seen exploded tanks and I hope to avoid that.

The cheapest would be to buy another used compressor and use its tank.

That's the first thing I did, it seems like tanks or complete
compressors are at a premium here right now. The cheapest I found was
an 80 gal. for $500 with a pump that "needs work". Freight from out of
town is a killer.