Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Concrete advice needed.

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:50:35 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Jun 19, 12:23*pm, wrote:
I’m going to be leveling a concrete floor that is off anywhere from 2 ½” to 8” depending on which are you measure from. I estimate that I will be needing about 85 bags of 90 lbs. concrete. It is too much for me to do it all in one go so I’m thinking of blocking off the floor into three sections and doing it on three different days. I will have to wait for one area to set before going on to the next. Since the floor which I’m going to level is already concrete I’m not going to use any steel mesh but should I use any kind of concrete adhesive on it before I start pouring? I’m not worried about the seams that I’m going to have because the floor will be covered with Thin-Set and ceramic floor tile. My main question is: Is my reasoning sound and am I missing anything. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone has to offer, thank you.

it will be far cheaper to get a ready mix truck to deliver the already
mixed concrete. they have a self leveling type to get it dead flat. 85
bags cost a fortune

I don't know about 'far cheaper' if all you count is the $'s----- But
it will damn sure be cheaper in the long run, and a *whole* lot
easier.

are there any cracks in the existing concrete? if so the overlay will
crack and so will your new tile

Not to mention-- How did that floor get *that* far off? Is it
unsupported someplace and just waiting for another few tons to send
the whole works tumbling into a hole?

theres a mesh you imbead in the thinset but i dont know how effective
it is

I think I'd go with the fiber embedded concrete. . . . Strike that.
I'd call a couple redi-mix places, tell them what I was up to, and ask
for their recommendation.

Jim