Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any ideas where to look first for suddenly non-operating heat pump?

On Jun 18, 9:21*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Most refrigeration wholesale houses. Bring your EPA card. You aren't likely
to find Freon, any more. I do haves some, a rather old 50 pound container..
You may be able to find Forane, Isotron, Genetron, or some other brand. I
havn't seen Freon for sale, in ages.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

PROBLEM SOLVED, maybe, probably!

There is a low pressure sensor switch in line with the compressor, so
*IF* there is low pressure, won't come on and destory the compressor.
Now for the down side...it appears the valve has been didlled with
causing the freon to completely leak out. This is an old system, a
heat pump, which requires 9.5 pounds of Freon 22 at $50 a pound !!!!

The guy came by and put a little in, if it stays, then not a waste to
put more in, better to wait, just in case.

So now the question is Where to buy 9.5 pounds of Freon 22 at less
than $50/pound !!

I've seen it being sold on Ebay for ~$10 a pound. Everything from
partial tanks to brand new ones. Of course as you pointed out, you're
supposed to have an EPA certificate to screw around with it. I'd
also check Craigslist for that and also guys who will do it cheaply.
Of course how good, honest, etc they are is a crap shoot.