Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mandhat@carploin.com is offline

Default Puzzling Lawm Mower Problem

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:58:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/18/2012 11:00 AM, wrote:

I did a test this morn - per tony& dpb's suggestions. After it is run
a short time - for about a minute - and then stopped for about a
minute, it will not start with the key (it revs but does not start).
If the cord is pulled once, it will then start with the key. If its
left for about 15 minutes, and then primed, it will start with the key
again (without pulling the cord).

The following was done: Cleaned Carburetor, Replaced Carb Bowl Gasket
and Washer, Replaced Carb Seat, Needle and checked& adjusted Float,
Replaced Magneto Assbly (Tecumseh "Lamination")& Adjusted Gap,
Repalced Spark Plug, Cleaned Engine Fins& Externals thoroughly,
Dumped Gas, Cleaned Tank& added new Gas, Changed Oil.

After all of the above, the engine ran much better (no missing), but
did not change the original Hot Start w/Key problem.

I don't see the real suggested test(s)...

a) after hot and doesn't start, before the pull test cool down the carb
area (spray w/ hose will work) and then try the starter, or

b) let it really cool off (by itself it'll take perhaps as long as an
hour if really warm) w/o doing anything else.

I forget about the stupid prime buttons--nothing I have is that new if
that small

Is it being used when trying to start hot? If so, possibly it's
flooding it out instead of a vapor lock.

_________
I did a test this morn - per tony& dpb's suggestions. After it is run
a short time - for about a minute - and then stopped for about a
minute, it will not start with the key (it revs but does not start).
If the cord is pulled once, it will then start with the key. If its
left for about 15 minutes, and then primed, it will start with the key
again (without pulling the cord).

See above - I thought I followed your suggestion "b" by only running
it for about a minute. I then tried the key start, which didn't work.
Then I let it cool for about 15 minutes and it started with the key,
the same way it would start when cool.