Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Battery Powered Impact Wrench?

On Jun 18, 6:52*pm, Joe wrote:
Thanks to all who answered. After checking (and choking) on the prices
for anything that looked like quality, I'm gonna go with the several
suggestions about a cross-handled spinner. They worked for me in my
day, and for my dad even earlier. My son's an engineer, and likes the
shiny techy stuff. I guess he should get a chrome plated wrench for
the shiny part.

For the techy part, I've decided to get him a Bosch Li-ion pistol grip
screwdriver, since that's another thing he has been wanting (and I can
afford that - barely).

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:06:49 -0400, Joe wrote:
My son has been wanting a battery powered impact wrench (hence the
subject line). He'd prefer one with Li-ion battery pack - this is for
removing lug nuts from his cars, as well as other things.

He has a birthday coming up this weekend, and I'd like to get him one.
Anyone have any specific recommendations - besides to just get a good
pneumatic model (I've tried that route, but he wants portability, as
he does dirt-biking in the wilds of wherever)? I need a heads-up
pretty quick, so I can order it from Amazon, or whoever.

Thanks

I have a couple of Kawasaki units, one larger than the other. Both
work well. The larger one is fine for changing tires. Kawasaki tools
are not quite as pricey as some of the brands mentioned above. I would
also look at Craftsman, which are also in the $100 range. While not
quite as good as the top-tier Snap-Ons etc, they are more than
adequate for a DIYer.
If you really want some real-world opinions, visit your local
autocross event next Sunday. Go around 9:00 and you will see most
every competitor using one of these. Ask them for opinions on what
they are using.