Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Will Silicon Sealant Work On A Propane Regulator?

On Jun 18, 4:23*pm, dpb wrote:
On 6/18/2012 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You'll notice that none of the Tailpiece Assemblies shown there have
an O-ring (or an indentation that could hold an O-ring) on the end
that screws into the regulator.

The original part from my BBQ Grillware does, and it's that O-ring
that keeps going bad.

The Brinkman hose/regulator/QCC-1 connector combination that I bought
as a replacement does not have an O-ring at the regulator and I have
installed the hose/regulator/QCC-1 connector combination as a single
unit. Therefore the fact that it leaks at the tailpiece-regulator
connection is not related to a missing O-ring since it wasn't
manufactured with one nor have I disassembled that connection prior to
installation.

That is a MPT connection. *I'd wonder if it was actually assembled
finally as you purchased it. *A PT connection needs pipe dope or teflon
tape to seal; if it doesn't have that no wonder it leaks.

That is if I follow your description correctly.

--

There does (yes) appear to be sealant in the threads of the Brinkman
replacement that I purchased.

So, now that we are both on the same page as far as where the leak is
on the replacement part, let's say I stop by HD on the way home and
exchange the Brinkman for another Brinkman and it still bubbles up my
soap solution at that connection.

Do you think that a layer of Dow 732 silicone sealant will work - and
last?

I'm very familiar with Dow 732 for sealing wet connections as well as
an adhesive that is easily dismantled, but I don't know how it would
hold up for sealing a minor leak at a propane connection.