Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Will Silicon Sealant Work On A Propane Regulator?

On 6/18/2012 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You'll notice that none of the Tailpiece Assemblies shown there have
an O-ring (or an indentation that could hold an O-ring) on the end
that screws into the regulator.

The original part from my BBQ Grillware does, and it's that O-ring
that keeps going bad.

The Brinkman hose/regulator/QCC-1 connector combination that I bought
as a replacement does not have an O-ring at the regulator and I have
installed the hose/regulator/QCC-1 connector combination as a single
unit. Therefore the fact that it leaks at the tailpiece-regulator
connection is not related to a missing O-ring since it wasn't
manufactured with one nor have I disassembled that connection prior to
installation.

That is a MPT connection. I'd wonder if it was actually assembled
finally as you purchased it. A PT connection needs pipe dope or teflon
tape to seal; if it doesn't have that no wonder it leaks.

That is if I follow your description correctly.