Greg

Default Semi OT Electrical Question

My
dryer has no ground (technically, practically it has no neutral)

That exemption in the code (dryers and ranges) started in WWII to save copper.
A couple code cycles ago the NFPA decided the war was finally over and they
made these circuits conform to the rest of article 250 with a separate ground
and neutral. You will now see 4 prong receptacles being installed there.
I suppose the reason we never piled up bodies is because these were 30-50a
circuits with very small 120v loads, if one was there at all.