Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default LED spec for phone line?

On Jun 17, 4:32*pm, wrote:
I want to put an LED to test my phone line, which I found to be ca 50v.

Where/how do I find the right LED?

THe LEDs at Radio Shack are all like 2v (yea I remember VCC of 2.3 on diodes
in my EE2 for non EEs course).

Should I just use a regular bulb, like the kind used for Christmas lights,
instead? (what about the LEDs used for CHristmas lights? Shouldn't they
work?)

Besides, I really only want ONE LED.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* * * * * * * * * *http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Your phone has three states
1. no power
2. OFF HOOK, well maybe ringtone coming in 90Vac at 20Hz ??
3. ON HOOK w/wo dial tone

you can make a simple little tester to catch all three states.

get two 2N5088 NPN transistors, two 10Meg, bridge rectifiers, 9v
battery, 10 r