Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Will Silicon Sealant Work On A Propane Regulator?

On Jun 18, 1:40*pm, dpb wrote:
On 6/18/2012 11:37 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My original connector has an indentaion near the unthreaded portion
that an O-ring sits in. Once the connector is threaded into the
regulator and tightened via a socket that fits over the valve inside
the QCC-1 connector, the O-ring sits in a matching indentation on the
regulator. It's this O-ring that has gone bad twice in the last couple
of years and now I can't seem to find a an O-ring that seals the
junction, even though I went back to the same source as before. The
leak is so bad you can hear and feel it coming out, you don't even
need any soap solution.

The replacement part that I bought, which includes the QCC-1
connector, the regulator and the hose to the grill, does not appear to
have an O-ring. A number of threads are still visible outside of the
regulator and it leaks right at the regulator/thread junction. Lot's
of bubbles at the junction, nothing at QCC-1 end of the nipple. It
does not appear to be loose since I am unable to tighten it with my
socket set.

I'm hoping that it is just a faulty part and that an exchange at Home
Depot will solve the problem. If not, I'm wondering if a quality
silicone sealent will work with propane and seal that junction.

Well, if the connection it's to fit to was designed for an o-ring then a
part w/o it is certainly not going to fit correctly and seal--that's
pretty much a given.

You've mis-understood the description of the issue and/or what I
bought as a replacement.

I have purchased a replacement part that is constructed differently
but not in a manner that impacts it's installation or use.

This is an example of the part in question. I have purchased this
entire part, end to end, and installed it as is.

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/206887980.jpg

Note the brass nipple behind the QCC-1 connector that screws into the
input of the regulator.

The original from BBQ Grillware has an O-ring where that nipple screws
into the regulator. The replacement from Brinkman does not use an O-
ring.

Since I am using that entire hose/regulator/QCC-1 combination as is,
the O-ring is no longer involved.

It's not that there is one missing, it's that the manufacturer chose
to design the regulator/nipple connection differently. However, it
doesn't matter since I'm not trying to install a part without an O-
ring where there should be one. I'm not taking the purchased part
apart, I'm simply attaching the brass fitting at the end of the hose
to the flare fitting on the burner control and the QCC-1 connector to
the tank. I am using that entire hose/regulator combination as is.

The problem - perhaps coincidentally - is that the Brinkman part leaks
at the exact same location as the original part - where the nipple
screws into the regulator.

As said before, find the real industrial distributor in the area, take
the o-ring with you and they'll mic it and find the replacement. *When
you do, buy a dozen...

The original O-ring is cut, ripped and dried out. Perhaps it can still
be mic'ed, but it's in pretty bad shape. However, I'm not sure I want
to keep using the original part, even with a new O-ring. It seems like
a bad design to me since the original O-ring went bad in about 3 years
and the replacement lasted about 2. Each time, propane is spewed into
the atmosphere, probably costing more than the $17 replacement hose/
regulator combination. I have another regulator/hose combination for a
huge propane burner and it doesn't use an O-ring at the nipple-
regulator connection. I'll wager that unless you have a BBQ Grillware
grill, you don't have an O-ring on your's either.

Or replace both ends of the connector w/ a matching design or the
replacement part from the manufacturer. *Trying to mix 'n match ain't
gonna' work here--

As described above, there is no mix and match going on here. The QCC-1
connector for the tank is standard, the 5/8" flare fitting on the hose
to the burner control is standard and neither of them leak. It's the
connection between the brass nipple and the regulator on the
replacement part that leaks, a connection that is right off the shelf,
just like you would end up with if you wanted to replace your
regulator/hose/QCC-1 connector as a unit as pictured above.

Had I never mentioned the original part with the O-ring and simply
said "I bought this hose/regulator/QCC-1 combination and it leaks
where the nipple screws into the regulator" it would be the same thing
as I have now. I see now that the mention of the O-ring has confused
the issue.

the part you have isn't defective, it's simply the wrong part for the specific application.

I hope that at this point you'll agree that the part *is* defective
since the O-ring has nothing to do with the part I purchased and is
not missing from any connection.

If you go to the manufacturer's site or look for parts distributors, you
may find the o-ring as a part directly rather than the whole assembly at
Lowes.

Been there, tried that. Even if I could find the O-ring, I don't think
I really want to replace it as I mentioned above. I think it's a bad
design but I can't say that for sure since the Brinkman replacement
part - a part that was designed without an O-ring, also leaks at the
regulator.