Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Will Silicon Sealant Work On A Propane Regulator?

On 6/18/2012 11:37 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My original connector has an indentaion near the unthreaded portion
that an O-ring sits in. Once the connector is threaded into the
regulator and tightened via a socket that fits over the valve inside
the QCC-1 connector, the O-ring sits in a matching indentation on the
regulator. It's this O-ring that has gone bad twice in the last couple
of years and now I can't seem to find a an O-ring that seals the
junction, even though I went back to the same source as before. The
leak is so bad you can hear and feel it coming out, you don't even
need any soap solution.

The replacement part that I bought, which includes the QCC-1
connector, the regulator and the hose to the grill, does not appear to
have an O-ring. A number of threads are still visible outside of the
regulator and it leaks right at the regulator/thread junction. Lot's
of bubbles at the junction, nothing at QCC-1 end of the nipple. It
does not appear to be loose since I am unable to tighten it with my
socket set.

I'm hoping that it is just a faulty part and that an exchange at Home
Depot will solve the problem. If not, I'm wondering if a quality
silicone sealent will work with propane and seal that junction.

Well, if the connection it's to fit to was designed for an o-ring then a
part w/o it is certainly not going to fit correctly and seal--that's
pretty much a given.

As said before, find the real industrial distributor in the area, take
the o-ring with you and they'll mic it and find the replacement. When
you do, buy a dozen...

Or replace both ends of the connector w/ a matching design or the
replacement part from the manufacturer. Trying to mix 'n match ain't
gonna' work here--the part you have isn't defective, it's simply the
wrong part for the specific application.

If you go to the manufacturer's site or look for parts distributors, you
may find the o-ring as a part directly rather than the whole assembly at
Lowes.