Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Will Silicon Sealant Work On A Propane Regulator?

On Jun 18, 10:29*am, "
wrote:
On Jun 18, 9:35*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The bottom line question is this:

Can I use a silicon sealant, like Dow 732, to seal a propane regulator
fitting?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#dow-corning...alants/=i140zh

If not, is there something else that will solve the following problem:

The O-ring on the regulator of my gas grill has gone bad (again). This
is the O-ring that should seal the nipple where it screws into the
regulator itself, having nothing to do with the QCC-1 connection to
the tank. In other words, there is no (or shouldn't be any) movement
at that connection.

I was able to find a replacement O-ring at a mom-and-pop hardware
store few years ago, but I tried a number of different sizes from the
same source last week and I can't get it to seal anymore. I guess
there won't be a $0.50 fix this time.

Yesterday, I bought a replacement regulator and hose from Home Depot
(Brinkman, $17) and it fits fine. However, it leaks at same spot -
where the nipple screws into the regulator. I tried tightening the
nipple with a deep socket over the valve inside the QCC-1 connector
but it didn't budge. It does not appear that there is an O-ring on
this unit like there is on the original.

I plan to exchange the item today on the hopes that the one I have is
defective, but if the replacement leaks also I'm thinking of trying
some silicone sealant at the nipple/regulator junction.

I wouldn't unscrew the nipple...I'd just spread some sealant around
the threads where they enter the regulator.

What I don't know if whether silicon is "propane-proof" or will the
propane eat through the silicon.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

I don't thing propane will eat through silicone. *However I would not
rely on silicone to replace an O ring. *Are you proposing to put the
silicone in and then tighten and let it cure? *If so, an O ring is
tough and something
to tighten up against. * Silicone will just squeeze out.

Have you tried going to an appliance/gas grill shop?- Hide quoted text -

No, I was not going to use the silicon as an O-ring. As I said in my
OP, the Brinkman replacement part does not appear to have an O-ring,
at least not a visible one like I have on the original.

Since the Brinkman leaks at the nipple-regulator junction, I was
simply going to spread some silicone on that junction to try and seal
it up.

I have not tried an appliance or gas grill shop. The grill is from
Lowes (BBQ Grillware). My guess is that any replacement regulator and
hose they carry will be much more expensive, but of course, if it
doesn't leak then it's worth it.

I called Lowes and they do carry a replacement hose/regulator for the
BBQ Grillware grills but if it has an O-ring like the original then
I'm reluctant to try it based on my past experience of the O-ring's
going bad. I'll swing by there tonight and take a look.