Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Will Silicon Sealant Work On A Propane Regulator?

On 6/18/2012 8:35 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was able to find a replacement O-ring at a mom-and-pop hardware
store few years ago, but I tried a number of different sizes from the
same source last week and I can't get it to seal anymore. I guess
there won't be a $0.50 fix this time.

Yesterday, I bought a replacement regulator and hose from Home Depot

What I don't know if whether silicon is "propane-proof" or will the
propane eat through the silicon.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

It's not a kludge I'd want to try, particularly, whether I knew the
interaction or not. It "just ain't right" and w/ gas, whether natural
or LP there isn't much room for error even though a seep there isn't
likely to be a major problem, still w/ propane being heavier than air
and all so what does leak doesn't just fly away like NG...

Don't know where you're located but surely there's an industrial supply
that can match the o-ring--here it's the gasket store that goes by the
name "MYHOMETOWN Gasket Supply"...I've never had anything they couldn't
match from tiny garden sprayer nozzle to 6" metal (and that's just
getting started for them for the oilfield folks that are their primary
customer base out here).