Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LED spec for phone line?

On Jun 17, 6:32*pm, wrote:
I want to put an LED to test my phone line, which I found to be ca 50v.

Where/how do I find the right LED?

THe LEDs at Radio Shack are all like 2v (yea I remember VCC of 2.3 on diodes
in my EE2 for non EEs course).

Should I just use a regular bulb, like the kind used for Christmas lights,
instead? (what about the LEDs used for CHristmas lights? Shouldn't they
work?)

Besides, I really only want ONE LED.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* * * * * * * * * *http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Are yo trying to use the phone line to light an LED and save
electricity???? The led will make it look like you want to make a
phone call and will get the phone company disconnecting your line in
short order. If you only want the led to glow dimly, then use a
series resistor to limit the current to 1-2 milliamperes. That may
not be enough to trigger the phone company circuits into believing you
want phone service.

BUY A BATTERY!