Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Speaker Failure article

Actually thst airflow in the voice coile is negligible in an infinite baffle
system. And the smaller the cabinet, the more negligible it is.

I built a system once the was so totally short on cubic, but so totally tall
on watts that if I would have left it that way the cabinet would have
exploded.

They were some type of thruster type speakers, the foam was all out. I put
woofers in for the 10" passive radiators as well as the 8" actual woofers.
The one set was four ohms which made the system 2.6 ohms.

Boomy as hell, but I have a Soundcraftsman PE 2217. Every DB of boost at 31
and every one of cut at 120 did most of it, and they sounded good.(I used
them for surround at the time) Really, this is what the system needed.
Nobody bitched when Bose did it. (remember the EQs for the 901s)

But those cones barely moved. Without a port fighting them they didn't have
to move as much, and their response was alot more predictable.

Just so you know, I am better than Dr. Bose. I can get you good sound out of
cardboard boxes. If you doubt that, come on down and challenge me. You know
what else that will blow your ****ing mind ? I can do it all with Radio
Shack **** !

You think I'm kidding ? Well I am right here. Sound is a matter of taste,
like cooking. Even Radio Shack tweeters can be set up to sound good, if you
know what you are doing.

I can make a crossover that makes a dead frog sound like an ESS Heil. Well
close.

** And besides all that - you are such a modest chap.

Plus you spelling is just wonderful .....

.... Phil