Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Sony DVD recorder, hard disk full.

"Sjouke Burry" s@b wrote in message
2.10...
"Gareth Magennis" wrote in
:

"georgewbell" wrote in message
On Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:25:25 PM UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
george wrote in message

Hi there

I have had my Sony DVD recorder for over a year and the hard disk
which is
about 3 Gb. I suppose, is full now and I do not want to delete all
the films etc.

How about changing the hard disk for a bigger one? Does anyone
know if it
an ordinary ide connection and standard power lead and if so is
there any
problem with a bigger one, will the software pick up the change if
I do it?

It is out of warrantee now, but before I start, I wondered if
anyone has
done it, or if there is any way to dump the contents of the hard
disk to a
big 1.5 Tb. disk I use for backup for other stuff. There is a
USB connection, but can it be programmed to allow this? I could do
it via a laptop. I have transferred some to dvd, but with an HD
documentary, for instance, I have to reduce the definition to get
it all onto one dvd. It
takes ages as well. I would like to have an external ide/power
connection
outside the machine so I could keep several HDs for various
subjects.

Any comments would be welcome, before I tear it apart.

Thanks George.

Can't say with any certainty for that model, but with many
manufacturer's machines that appear to use a perfectly normal IDE
drive, they are in fact
an OEM version, and the machine looks for an identifier block in the
drive's
control software. If it doesn't find what it's looking for, the
drive is not
recognised.

Arfa

Hmmm. That doesn't sound too good. I wonder if there is a way to
fool it? Maybe there is a way to export the contents of the HD
instead. Thanks for the thoughts though. Regards George.

You could probably export using Clonezilla
http://clonezilla.org/

or HDAT2, which gets right into the very heart of the disk drive -
hidden areas, passwords, change apparent size of drive, hardware reset
etc. http://www.hdat2.com/

Both of these are freeware.

(I have rescued a couple of apparently dead hard drives with HDAT2,
its a scarily good program)

Gareth.

What is the disk size limit for disk to disk cloning
with Clonezilla?
Their docs are a bit silent on this info.

No idea, I'm afraid.

Gareth.