Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Propane tanks

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

I have decided to make a bbq cooker out of a propane tank if I can find one
of the appropriate size. A friend of mine owns a supply house, and I
believe they will have a dead one or two I can cut up and use. I was going
to make a brick one in the back yard, and then a guy at my church wants me
to cook up some stuff for July 18th. One on wheels would do what I need,
and be available for others, too.

I know to flush, fill with water, etc, to cut it.

How about removing the mercaptan smell? Once I get it open, what should I
do to kill that smell, or will heating it up with charcoal for the first
time do the trick?

Electric wirebrushing? Scrubbing with some type of cleaner?

???

Steve

Bite the bullet and go buy yourself a Webber 22 1/2" [1] charcoal BBQ.
You'll never look back.

They work really well, and will put big smiles on your face till your a
little old man.

Had mine since the early 80's... probably used it once a week average,
and it's still going strong. Replacement parts are available (but I've
yet to need any).

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/...ch-silver-22-1

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-741001-2...er/dp/B00004RA
LU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1340000982&sr=8-4&keywords=webber+22.5+gold

Even used from Craigs list they're great, long as the porcelain isn't
chipped, there are no missing parts and corrosion/rust of legs and
grates is reasonable.

They make other charcoal models with any bell/whistle imaginable... but
the basic ones are more than satisfactory.

Erik

[1] If just cooking for 2 or 3, go for the 18 1/2" model.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/...ch-silver-18-1

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-441001-1...dp/B00004RALW/
ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1340001070&sr=1-3&keywords=webber+18
..5