Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default electrical question

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:34:42 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

On 6/17/2012 5:29 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I had three-way and four-way light switches as a problem in college
physics class. Four-way light switches are wired the same as motor
reversing switches, often internally. They lack the center OFF
position.

I've had more than one 'Know it all electrician' tell me that you
could only use one four way switch in a string. Of course, they
preferred to sell those overpriced low voltage/relay systems to gullible
customers.

This room has a 3 - 4 - 3 setup in it now.

You can go 3 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 3 if you'd like, but wiring
it up gets so damn complicated, and you've got a half-ton of copper
involved, and then the troubleshooting when a switch goes bad... You
just give up and use the low-voltage relay system.

The relays are also good when the switches are for outside floodlights
at opposite ends of the house - you could put a 3-4-4-3 system at each
outside door, but push those electrons through 1000' of wire making
three laps around the house and you have voltage drop issues.

-- Bruce --