Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default LED spec for phone line?

"mike" wrote in message
On 6/17/2012 4:32 PM, wrote:
I want to put an LED to test my phone line, which I found to be ca 50v.

Where/how do I find the right LED?

THe LEDs at Radio Shack are all like 2v (yea I remember VCC of 2.3 on
diodes
in my EE2 for non EEs course).

Should I just use a regular bulb, like the kind used for Christmas
lights,
instead? (what about the LEDs used for CHristmas lights? Shouldn't they
work?)

Besides, I really only want ONE LED.

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus,
BioStrategist
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully
disclaimed.}---
[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive
guards]
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime
Bimbos]

A series resistor will answer your question.
Assume you now all about what happens when you load a phone line.

And of course what happens when a ring signal appears across the line ...

Arfa