Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default O/T: Still Smoke?

RonB wrote:
On Jun 17, 12:39 pm, Swingman wrote:
On 6/17/2012 12:22 PM, RonB wrote:

That, as I said, is my concern. Luckily I am married to a very health-
conscious wife who is fighting an unmediated (and so far successful)
fight against genetic high cholesterol. We eat right and try to walk
3.5 to 6 miles a day with some cycling. As long as we keep going with
this maybe I can push the effects off for some time.

RonB

Sorry - should have said "un-medicated"

She doesn't like Statins either, eh?

--www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

She started with Lipitor years ago and did OK for about a year. Then
the joint and muscle pain started. It progressed until she could
barely get off of the floor in her mid to late 50's (she is not
heavy). After talking to her doctor he pulled her off of the Statin
and recommended a dosage of fish oil, some red-rice yeast, some slow
release niacin and very restricted red meat. He also pushed exercise
which is easy for her. After about 6 months her cholesterol level was
still in the lower to mid-200's but her HDL was above 100 and LDL was
in the 60's. Triglyceride numbers were good too. Frankly this blew
the doctor away and he told her to keep it up. He told her the reason
her overall number was still high was the higher than normal HDL was
elevating it and that was not bad.

A few years later we moved and changed doctors but her new doctor was
supportive of her approach. However, wifey decided to switch out her
fish oil and other supplements a little and her numbers went up: and
her HDL/LDL blend got worse. Her new doc scolder he a little, put
her on Crestor until she got her supplements back in order and guess
what - Crestor is gone now and her numbers are back in a healthy
range.

We tell our kids not to use their bodies as an experimental chemistry
set and she admits she was playing a bit herself but now she is doing
well. She has walked about 450 miles since early February and I am at
about 2/3 that.

RonB

I don't tolerate statins at all, zero, zip.

You do know that the ingredient that makes red-rice yeast work lowering
cholesterol is a statin? Lovastatin is a natural product of that
fermentation process, so if you don't tolerate statins, you probably should
not consider red-rice yeast as a supplement. Her ratio is good, even
though the total may be "high" (hell, with that ratio, is it really
"high"?) ... too many doctors just treat the numbers and not the patient
these days. AAMOf, there is a good deal of research out there now that
seriously questions the need, or advisability, of most women even taking
statins.

Amazing how the simple act of walking will bring all these levels down to
normal levels. I wore out about 15 pair of shoes the past ten years, but
took a break last year. Just started back up walking about a month ago and
dropped about ten pounds thus far without doing anything else.

Beats the hell out of Big Pharma dictating to the doctors who are prone to
treat just the numbers ... "better living through chemistry", I suspect,
equates more to "more profits through chemical marketing" these days.

Besides, I'm highly suspicious of this profitable statin business in any
regard ... Caveat emptor.

--
www.ewoodshop.com