Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Propane tanks

Steve B wrote:
I have decided to make a bbq cooker out of a propane tank if I can find one
of the appropriate size. A friend of mine owns a supply house, and I
believe they will have a dead one or two I can cut up and use. I was going
to make a brick one in the back yard, and then a guy at my church wants me
to cook up some stuff for July 18th. One on wheels would do what I need,
and be available for others, too.

I know to flush, fill with water, etc, to cut it.

How about removing the mercaptan smell? Once I get it open, what should I
do to kill that smell, or will heating it up with charcoal for the first
time do the trick?

Electric wirebrushing? Scrubbing with some type of cleaner?

???

Steve

BEFORE you open it dump in a gallon of clorox and 10 gallons of water.
Roll it around and let it set a while. Then let it drain. Now cut it
open. Use a solution of 10% potassium permanganate and spray it down.

If you plan on splitting it and using hinges on parts of the top weld
angle strips around the cut areas before you cut. That way the cut areas
are reinforced and all you need to do add the hinges.

--
Steve W.