Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby[_3_] James Waldby[_3_] is offline

Default Propane tanks / odorant

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:15:46 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I have decided to make a bbq cooker out of a propane tank

[snip]

How about removing the mercaptan smell? Once I get it open, what should I
do to kill that smell, or will heating it up with charcoal for the first
time do the trick?

Electric wirebrushing? Scrubbing with some type of cleaner?

It might make no difference in smell removal, but according
to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_petroleum_gas the
odorant in use nowadays is ethanethiol.

Wikipedia says "In the United States, tetrahydrothiophene
(thiophane) or amyl mercaptan are also approved odorants,
although neither is currently being utilized." This doesn't
agree with http://www.msdshazcom.com/MSDS/E/exxon/wcd002fe.htm
or http://www.suhresgas.com/help/LP_GAS_ORORIZATION_INFO.html.
The former says "Exxon, like many other propane marketers, uses
ethyl mercaptan as the odorant, adding it in a ratio of 1.5 lb
per 10,000 gallons of propane..." and the latter says "In order
to detect presence and prevent an explosion from a buildup of
propane gas, odorant (almost always ethyl mercaptan) is added to
liquid LP-Gas. Ethyl mercaptan has a distinctive order and has a
high odor impact. To familiarize yourself with this type of odor
you can request €śScratch and Sniff€ť leaflets from the National
Propane Gas Association..."

Does anyone here know for certain what's used now?

--
jiw