Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mandhat@carploin.com is offline

Default Puzzling Lawm Mower Problem

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:01:26 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/17/2012 11:47 AM, wrote:
I have a TORO "Recycler" Electric Start Mower, model 20018. The mower
starts fine - with the key - when cold. The Mower runs fine either hot
or cold.

After its run for a short time, it will no longer start with the key.
The battery is fine and the starter motor rotates the flywheel , but
its as if there is either no Gas or No Spark.

Here's the puzzling fix. If I pull the cord, slowly and easily,
without even trying to start it, it will then start with the key.

If its shut off, it will again be necessary to give the cord a short
and easy pull, before it will again start with the key.

I have replaced the plug, the coil assbly, and have checked the kill
switch.

Anyone have an idea as to what the problem may be ??

First guess--vapor lock.

Think Tony's thinking same thing.

If you let it cool w/o doing anything, it will then start just fine
again, right?

Look into adding some reflective tape or a heat shield around the fuel
line between hot engine parts and the line...

I haven't tried just letting it cool or spraying the areas mentioned.
I'll do that tomorrow and let you know.

What I can't understand is what pulling the cord (without starting)
does that the starter motor doesn't ?? The only difference I can see
is that the cord revs the flywheel from the top and the starter motor
revs it from the flywheel teeth below - both in the same clockwise
direction.

I can let that starter motor run for at least 5 seconds and it won't
start, and repeat that many times to no avail, but when I just give
one pull on the cord (without starting) the electric start will then
work after only one or two revs.