Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Peavey XR886 mixer amp

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ron Johnson wrote in message
On 13/06/2012 00:40, N_Cook wrote:
Not so simple. The sw on these sockets are not used, sensing must be
via

the
ring contacts and analogue switches or relays .
I suspect the owner could tolerate a pair of patch leads jumpering

master
outputs to PA-in

IIRC there is a model of PV pa amp which requires a short jumper lead
between two of the front panel jacks to link the two channels.

Ron

For the moment I'm going with a bad PA-in bypass switch , so replacing
both
1/4 inch sockets and bad solder on a jumper that carries signals to 3 of
the
4 control lines of a MAX364 quad an. sw IC.
If its a problem involving the recessed L/R // L+R/Mon1 mode switch then
it
can stay there and as owner does not use monitor outputs, he will have to
use a pair of jumpers on the rear.

In my experience, mixer desks are a black art in terms of use, even if you
think you understand the principles and functions of the myriad
cryptically-marked switches and signal routing options. I have spent hours
trying to get back to a situation that I knew worked ok before I pressed a
few buttons ...

A couple of weeks back, I fixed a powered mixer for one of the shops I do
work for. It was a straightforward output problem, but when I had it all
back together, try as I might, I could not get it to a state where a signal
going in on a channel, would arrive at the output sockets, controlled by the
master faders, and making the main bargraphs dance prettily. Eventually, I
gave up, and returned it to the shop owner - who can 'play' these mixer
desks like a piano - informing him that I was sure its original problem was
fixed, but that I couldn't drive it properly, and he would need to give it a
final check. He rang me a couple of hours later and said yes - it was all
ok. When I asked him what I'd done wrong, this stream of stuff that sounded
a bit like "you hadn't got the oogleflump matrix diverter routed through the
group one A / B monitor bypass fiddlety-drack osmosifying control, resulting
in all signals disappearing down the backline monitor channel's plug-hole
simulator". Oh, said I. I'll know next time then ...

Arfa