Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT data recovery

On 6/17/2012 1:05 AM, Steve W. wrote:

That wasn't the problem usually. Most of the repair I did was on board
damage, either mechanical issues (like OOPs that screw was just a bit
long, or electrical damage do to component failures burning traces
inside the board.

A board like that would be scrapped at the factory. They didn't
like ECOs that required jumpers, and only did it rarely.

Where are you getting the cap kits? I have a 620 myself and haven't
really bothered to look around yet.

http://thecapking.com/gx620sff.html has the small form factor kit for
$12. They alos sell the individual caps, if yours is different. You
can buy small quantities of Panasonic FM or Rubycon MBZ series on Ebay.

OK, didn't pay attention to folks making kits. I buy caps in bulk then
just grab the ones I need.
Mine is in the tower case but still runs pretty warm.

I buy bulk from Digikey, and am putting a small order together,
right now. I was ready to order when the Optiplex died, and all the
details are on it's SATA hard drive so I'm going to pull it and put it
into an external housing to see if it survived. Luckily, I still have
one on hand.

The drives run very hot in the smaller cases, due to limited airflow.
The other problem is the low profile slots. I needed a couple extra
USB ports for things that didn't like hubs so I had to buy them on Ebay,
then wait for a slow boat from China to get them. The first order was
canceled & refunded, because the entire production run was defective.
Luckily, the next run was OK.