Posted to alt.home.repair
Atila Iskander Atila Iskander is offline

Default OT - Sorta - Woodpeckers:

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"RonB" wrote in message

Woodpeckers are either very dumb or very devious.

By the time the sound travels from their beak, through the aluminum
gutters and into the structure of our house it sounds like a machine
gun. Will jolt a beer right out of you hand.

Woodpeckers peck for three reasons
-- to excavate food
-- to excavate nesting cavities
-- to drum, to advertise their territory.
Most of these birds have discovered metal structures (e.g.
barn roofs) are better for #3 i.e. make a louder noise.

We had a Woodpecker at our cabin in the backwoods of Wisconsin.
Discovered that the steel perpendicular holding the TV antenna and cell
phone repeater to be a wonderful "sounding board"..
Punctual as a Drill Sergeant, he went to work at 0530 every morning to
announce "wake-up"..

Sadly, he's not been around this year.
I found myself missing him..