Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Still Smoke?

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 10:20:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 6/16/2012 9:36 AM, RonB wrote:
On Jun 15, 11:11 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Started smoking during the early 1960's when I was about 14. I quit
about 15-20 years ago but still wonder how much damage I did to
myself.

Quit a three pack a day habit of thirty years on November 16, 1991 at 2AM.

I quit a daily 2+ pack (of 100's) habit in Feb of 1988 and haven't had
a single regret about it since. I've never longed for a cig since,
either. I hate 'em, they stink, and people who smoke them reek.

I still think smoking was one of the great pleasures of life ... not

That's seriously too bad, Swingy.

since have I taken those relaxing "smoke breaks" that broke a hard day's
work into manageable chunks.

You know that you -should- have, right? Just walk out to where you
would have (or find a place with cleaner air) and take a few deep
breaths, only this time, it would be clear, fresh air. I did that
whenever life got hard, and it worked much better than suckin' on a
fag would have.

But we do know that, after that many years, the danger still lies within.

That said, the doctors made my paternal grandfather quit at the age of
93 (unfiltered, roll-your-own, Prince Albert pipe tobacco, smoked like a
cigarette since the age of nine).

We would be so lucky ...

The extremely vast majority of the danger ends when you quit smoking.
Some things still sneak up on you, but once you quit, you're pretty
much over all the dangers. I always gear up for work in any area
filled with particulates of any kind, including mowing the lawn and
cutting/sanding wood. I love my lungs and want to protect 'em. Ears,
eyes, knees, lungs, hands. I try to protect mine.

--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.