patriarch

Default OT--You Know You Don't Live Live......

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote in
:

Swingman writes:

snip of a great start

Thinking back on his visit, I can't remember when I've enjoyed
anything as much as having Uncle Teet sitting in my shop. He didn't
talk a lot, mostly just sat and watched, but he had a look of approval
in his eye that was, as they say on the commercials, priceless. When
he left to go back home, two days later (reluctantly, I do believe),
he was carrying a chunk of my cocobolo that was about the right size
for a couple of "turkey call experiments", and he promised me a
truckload of white oak, if he had to bring it down here himself.

You gotta understand that, until this visit, Uncle Teet was not blood
kin

There are never enough days like that in our lives. But maybe if there
were more, we'd appreciate them less.

Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard
Fillmore

Sunday evening, I'm whipped & tired, from a long weekend of everything,
plus a little. I'm sitting in the most comfortable chair in the house,
falling asleep to Norm on the Tivo, about 8:30. My wife is at her sister's
place, playing Scrabble, when the telephone rings. I almost didn't answer
it, but it's Stanley.

Stanley's a little like Uncle Teet. Well out of warranty, if you know what
I mean. He just wants to drop by for a couple of minutes - he's got
something for me. By the time we get done visiting, he's brought me a
piece of mahogany veneer, hand cut, and a box of brass knobs he won't ever
have a use for, but mostly he's cheered me up, and nudged me forward, and
helped me realize how much I've learned in the last couple of years.

We all need Stanley's in our life.

Patriarch