Chipper Wood

Default Semi OT Electrical Question

Neutrals although grounded at the service are not grounds. Reason being that
any voltage drop across conductors is halved in the neutral. ( There are
exceptions ) This can be from other loads connected to that neutral.
Therefore a neutral can carry a voltage potential at the outlet. NEC now
requires any 2 wire outlets not having a ground and being replaced, be done
so with GFCIs. This does not ground the device connected but does offer
protection from any fault that results in a more than a 5 milliamp
difference between the conductors or current detected in the grounded
conductor of the device fitted with a 3 prong plug. A separate ground wire
is preferred.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
. com...
Folks -

I have an old Victorian, Circa 1868.... The tenants trashed it, long
story.... Anyway, most of the electric outlets are two prong, rather than
grounded.... I would like to put grounded outlets in, but I have only a

hot
(black) and neutral (white) No separate ground wire....

Would it be safe to install a 3 wire plug and have the ground and neutral
common to the white wire? Would this work and be safe? Only having 2

prong
outlets has been a PITA, and getting under the house to run separate

grounds
would be a real bit of work. Would bridging the ground and common

terminals
also work and be safe with a GFCI outlet?

I would appreciate any remarks from those that KNOW and have experience.
The last thing I want is a fire....

I was under the house yesterday and found some old andirons.... All of the
timber underneath is full dimension stuff, maybe even bigger....

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given....

John Moorhead