Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default How to cut tungsten/rhenium wire

Joe wrote in
:

When I was working with (pure) tungsten wire, I used carbide-jaw
diagonal cutters. My wire was about half as thick as yours, though
that shouldn't make much difference. Prior to getting the carbide
tools, I used regular, better quality, cutters. They did wear faster
than normal, but not too bad. My customer supplied the carbide
cutters; if it had been my money, I would have bought a few pairs of
Kleins (or similar) and saved a bundle.

Lindstrom (and others) make "hard wire cutters" that might do the trick.
They would certainly last longer than regular ones. I use Lindstroms at
work to cut berylium copper pins on RF connectors, and they work fine. Any
other cutter is toast after one shot.

Doug White