Doug Winterburn

Default Semi OT Electrical Question

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 03:32:50 +0000, John Moorhead wrote:

Folks -

I have an old Victorian, Circa 1868.... The tenants trashed it, long
story.... Anyway, most of the electric outlets are two prong, rather than
grounded.... I would like to put grounded outlets in, but I have only a hot
(black) and neutral (white) No separate ground wire....

Would it be safe to install a 3 wire plug and have the ground and neutral
common to the white wire? Would this work and be safe? Only having 2 prong
outlets has been a PITA, and getting under the house to run separate grounds
would be a real bit of work. Would bridging the ground and common terminals
also work and be safe with a GFCI outlet?

I would appreciate any remarks from those that KNOW and have experience.
The last thing I want is a fire....

NO, _NOT_ safe and don't do it. Electrocution is probably the first
concern, fire somewhere after that.

-Doug

--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw