Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Help fixing moving led sign

carlos martin wrote in message
Hello,

I have an old (80s I guess) moving led display. It has 3 boards full
of leds and is programmed via a keyboard that connects via serial db9.

Upon startup it would only show squares moving sideways. I replaced
some small battery (3 button batteries stuck together) and then it
would show some letters from other alphabets (accents and circles and
what not), but mostly squares again.

It doesn't respond to any command from the keyboard.

The mainboard has three chips which I guess are processor, ROM and
RAM:

D8049HC 195
MBM2764-25
TC5517APL

I am about to replace the three of them, but I guess I would need to
find the original ROM to program this.

Can anybody help with this? Can the fault be with the processor or the
RAM and not in the ROM?

I didn't find any make and model on the device but I can provide more
information on request.

Thanks in advance

Do you know its history, ie the keyboard did work.
Or has someone sold it with some cobbled-together kbd for a quick sale?

I used to own a IGG moving sign with a non-standard serial link to keyboard.
That company in the 80s suddenly found that Chinese made moving signs were
coming into the country for the price that IGG had to pay for just the LEDs
in their signs, so goodnight IGG

Does it have DIP switches for baud rate setting?