Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default electrical question

Steve B wrote:
My SIL is having a problem with her trolling motor on her canoe. It has a
three position rocker switch with six spade prongs coming out the back, two
for each position on the rocker. Right, middle, and left.

When doing a continuity check, I can only get continuity between the middle
two. The right and left do not have any continuity whatsoever, with the
pair, or with any other spade push terminal. There is no melting, no
blackening, and no evidence of melted metal from shorting/arcing. Shouldn't
there be continuity on all three pairs, each one having continuity when I
flip the rocker to that position?

Steve

Two center contacts should go to the motor. Then two on one end connect
to battery. Two cross over jumpers should be wired to those and connect
to the opposite switch contacts on the other end.

http://www.eleinmec.com/figures/012_01.gif shows how it should be
connected.

Sounds like the reverse jumpers rotted off or were removed for some
reason. What make and model is the motor? I may have a source for a
manual on it.

--
Steve W.