Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default electrical question

"BQ340" wrote in message
. com...
On 6/15/2012 10:34 PM, Steve B wrote:
My SIL is having a problem with her trolling motor on her canoe. It has
three position rocker switch with six spade prongs coming out the back,
two
for each position on the rocker. Right, middle, and left.

When doing a continuity check, I can only get continuity between the
middle
two. The right and left do not have any continuity whatsoever, with the
pair, or with any other spade push terminal. There is no melting, no
blackening, and no evidence of melted metal from shorting/arcing.
Shouldn't
there be continuity on all three pairs, each one having continuity when I
flip the rocker to that position?

Steve

Usually the middle will have continuity with either side, depending on the
switch position.

MikeB

Tried touching every combination of terminals with switch in all positions,
and can only get it when the switch is in the middle position, and then on
only the two center prongs.

Steve