Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Easthope Peter Easthope is offline

Default Repair of the power board from an HP DeskJet, damaged by leakagefrom capacitors.

On Jun 8, 8:25 pm , Jeff Liebermann wrote:
As others have mentioned, just clean up the mess with your favored
cleaner. Then tin what's left of the traces with plenty of solder.

Presumably traces are blackened where the electrolyte has corroded
between the board and the trace and between the polymer coating
and the trace. I should clean all the blackened sections completely
from
the board? Any clever means of cleaning out the holes in the board?

On Jun 10, 1:41*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I have this ESR tester:
http://www.flippers.com/esrkthnt.html
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

Same or similar here; the date label has "7/24/09".

Now, I have a question. *Is this unspecified model Deskjet worth
repairing? *Even when working perfectly, the print speed, reliability,
quality, and cost per page are all problematic when compared to a
laser printer. *The only thing good about an inkjet printer is the
initial cost, which is less than a laser and the power consumption.

By simple financial calculation, probably not worth saving. But I
have
three DeskJets. Aside from power boards they are in good shape and
I have a lifetime supply of ink. So with my aversion to waste,
scrapping
them is difficult.

Thanks to everyone for the instructions, ... Peter E.