Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default How to cut tungsten/rhenium wire

Improving ductility would be a plus. The pure W I used was
phenomenally expensive (in my opinion): we paid a little over a grand
for 300 meters (about 4 lbs). That was way above the standard cost per
pound of W. I suppose a lot of that cost was the PITA of drawing
something that hard (but I guess they did it while hot). OTOH, another
supplier that we used sometimes - Luma from Sweden - charged less than
$800 for the same stuff - that was with shipping from Europe.

Joe

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 23:31:10 -0500, Ignoramus10295
wrote:

Not an answer but a question. What is tungsten / rhenium wire used for? TIG
electrodes?

It is very fancy stuff, rhenium is a very expensive metal, four times
more expensive than silver.

It is used to prevent high temperature sag of tungsten wire and
improve its ductility.