Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7592 Ignoramus7592 is offline

Default Series I CNC head rebuild

On 2012-06-15, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I am in the middle of a top-end rebuild on my R2E4. It was making
excessive noise, and it turns out that a pulley bushing failed, galling
the motor shaft, and chipping out the key slot in the pulley.

Both the motor shaft and movable pulley half on the Vari-Speed drive
element must be replaced.

I have obtained the proper parts, and have the machine apart. In the
midst of this, I developed some "tricks" or strategies to get the motor
off without removing the head -- at least not removing it "completely".

Since this is (according to Hardinge) "impossible", I'm putting together
a photo-essay on how to do the whole thing without removing the head, and
FWIW, under an 8-foot ceiling. It's been tricky, but a little luck and
some ingenuity have panned out.

Lloyd

Lloyd, where did you get the parts?