Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson Lyndell Thompson is offline

Default OT data recovery

Important other info I forgot about:
They provide your data on a new flash drive unless it is huge and they
will put that on a brand new external hardrive. Either way copy it on you
new computer and preferably copy on anotehr drive of some type (i.e external
hardrive). They say the flash drive can sit around and gather static
electric or something and lose the data you just payed $500 to get back.
This would not be good. I was told it is like at light bulb........you get a
good one and sometimes you get a bad one. Just food for thought. I have the
flash drive , new computer and an external hardrive. The hardrive is in a
fireproof area.
Lyndell

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
I had a good experience with Geek Squad, although others told me to steer
clear of them. It was around $500. Any Best Buy has one inside. They gave
me back more data that I asked for. SWMBO had data that had to come back. I
would have paid more but didn't have to. Time is the problem. I think it
was a month or more getting it back. No affiliation whatsoever, just a
satisfied customer. They try a trick or two in the store. If the drive does
not read, they box it up and send it out for level 1 service. That is about
what they do in the store. It usually don't work and they call you you and
ask if it is ok to proceed with level 2 ($500). You say yes and 75% or so
of the time, they fix it at that. Otherwise it goes to level 3 and that is
where they tell you if you have to ask what it cost you can't afford it (I
am exagerrating a little here but you get the point) . They keep you
informed during the whole process so you don't get stuck with a bill you
can't pay. This was a year ago around the Louisville KY metro area. YMMV.
Good Luck Lyndell

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
We had a 'puter crash and lost a day's sales records and, more
imprtantly, payroll data.

I'm mounting the HD in a USB portable unit and putting in the freezer,
hoping to get one last spin. If that don't work, are there any other
good ideas? Otherwise, anybody know what a data recovery vendor costs
and any suggested vendor?

Karl