Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson Lyndell Thompson is offline

Default OT data recovery

I had a good experience with Geek Squad, although others told me to steer
clear of them. It was around $500. Any Best Buy has one inside. They gave me
back more data that I asked for. SWMBO had data that had to come back. I
would have paid more but didn't have to. Time is the problem. I think it was
a month or more getting it back. No affiliation whatsoever, just a satisfied
customer. They try a trick or two in the store. If the drive does not read,
they box it up and send it out for level 1 service. That is about what they
do in the store. It usually don't work and they call you you and ask if it
is ok to proceed with level 2 ($500). You say yes and 75% or so of the time,
they fix it at that. Otherwise it goes to level 3 and that is where they
tell you if you have to ask what it cost you can't afford it (I am
exagerrating a little here but you get the point) . They keep you informed
during the whole process so you don't get stuck with a bill you can't pay.
This was a year ago around the Louisville KY metro area. YMMV.
Good Luck Lyndell

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
We had a 'puter crash and lost a day's sales records and, more
imprtantly, payroll data.

I'm mounting the HD in a USB portable unit and putting in the freezer,
hoping to get one last spin. If that don't work, are there any other
good ideas? Otherwise, anybody know what a data recovery vendor costs
and any suggested vendor?

Karl