BillR

Default Removing glue from skirting board

Oliver Brearley wrote:
Antony wrote in message
.. .
I'm replacing laminate flooring with carpet. I've taken some beading
off that was fastened all around the skirting board with glue. It
came off easily but there's a noticable trail of glue all round the
skirting that is difficult to shift.

If it was no-nails or similar this is very difficult to get off..

What's the best way to remove this? I've tried sanding but with no
success. I've tried a chisel but it's a slow process and I've got
20m of board to do.

Keep scraping away ...
Any suggestions?

Some steam wallpaper strippers come with a small attachment head
attachment. Maybe heating the glue will help to remove it. Better
still a belt sander (B&Q Pro ~£70) with a `light touch' will eat
through this, then use an orbital sander for a fine finish. If
there's any staining of the wood then liquid paint stripper will help
remove this together will a paint / wallpaper stripping knife.

However, get down to a timber merchant and cost it for replacement,
you may be surprised !

How true, in similar position I found bog standard dual profile pine
skirting was 88p/metre in timber merchant.
It just wasn't worth the effort or risk of cleaning up the old stuff....