Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] fred.flintstone@thecave.com is offline

Default Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:01:12 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

I just bought a 6-pack of those stubby propane tanks at Sam's for $17
-- seems like they cost twice that 10 years ago when I bought the last
one.

Jim

Somewhere I saw an adapter that lets you refill those little tanks from
a larger one. Maybe you could save money that way?

I got one of those refill adaptors probably 20 years ago. I dont recall
where I got it. They were and probably still are illegal. The problem
I encountered was that I could not find a tool to buy to open the relief
valve. This is similar to a tire valve stem but too deep in the
cylinder to use a regular tire tool. I made my own tool.

I refilled lots of bottles, but the majority of them leaked afterwards,
so I'd store them outdoors under a piece of plywood. I suspect the
reason for the leaking was because I would overfill them. I know all
propane tanks are only supposed to be filled to 80%. I had no way to
regulate the amount of fill on these tanks.

I found a camping supply store that sold some cylinders MADE TO BE
REFILLED. They were supposedly legal, and were easier to refill. But
they too tended to leak.

I have not refilled them in years. Dont even know where that adaptor is
anymore. These days I use a 20lb tank with an adaptor to fit my Coleman
stove, and everything else that uses propane. About the only time I use
the small cylinders is for my torches. At $3 a tank, it's not worth the
hassle to refill them, and then have leakers to deal with afterwards.