Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default low maintenence

Pat Barber wrote in
:

On 6/11/2012 11:37 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in :

I want to make some outdoor benches what would be the best wood
and preservative to use . We get a lot of rain , long cold winters.

Sal

I am seconding cedar. I'm in New Jersey, and 6 years ago I built
some simple wooden benches with cedar bought from Kuiken Brothers.
No finishing whasoever, and they just stayed outside all year round.
Picture to follow.

That does not appear to be any cedar I'm familiar with(eastern red) or
any of the west coast cedars but it does look like "spanish cedar",
which is neither spanish or cedar.

It must be the weathering that makes you think so. The wood had a
typical cedar smell when cut. Also, Kuiken Brothers is a very reputable
firm around here, and they sold the wood as cedar. If you're near, come
by and I'll let you smell a cutoff.

--
Best regards
Han