Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Motor slowing when electric dryer comes on

On 6/13/2012 7:25 PM, Laurav wrote:
The utility co. took down their recording voltmeter. It was on the
weatherhead, on my roof where the power line is attached.

I talked to an engineer at the utility co. today, and he said
everything is fine with my voltage. He said it's between 120 and 124
volts usually, he saw one time it went down to 115 volts.

The only thing he noticed was that the load is somewhat unbalanced,
like 25 amps on one leg and 10 amps on the other, usually.

Could an unbalanced load cause voltage fluctuations?

One day when I was doing my laundry and the heat pump may have been
working hard, he said the load went up to 55 amps. I don't know if
this could cause flaky voltage inside my house, it's 100-amp service.

I might borrow or buy a voltmeter, and see whether voltage at the
outlet correlates with the drastic fluctuations in airflow that I've
noticed.

I doubt it's the fault of the motor volume control, because the
airflow goes up rather predictably at night.

And like I said, when I use the electric dryer, the airflow
predictably goes down, sometimes a lot.

Maybe there's something other than just voltage that might be
affecting the turbine speed. Some other power quality issue, perhaps.

Laura

Any chance you share the power transformer with other houses? If so,
their use will have a noticeable effect on your voltage with only a 100
amp service.

Paul