Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Reducing a 5/8" shaft

On Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:58:57 PM UTC-7, homesteader824 wrote:
I have a small honey extractor with a 5/8" shaft that spins. I would
like to turn this directly with an electric drill. I have a 1/2" drill
that I was able to jury rig a pulley to to run it, so I know it has
enough power.

The drill might have enough power, but it isn't intended to run for long
periods. It'll likely overheat.

Instead of using pulleys and the gears inside a drill, just couple a real
AC motor to the shaft; there's one in every junked furnace, dishwasher,
washing machine... and a rotisserie attachment for a grill or oven is
really a nice little gearmotor.