Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default O/T: Worm Compost

On 6/13/2012 3:49 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:57:28 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Took a couple of years, but the combination of worms and coffee grounds
turned that clay sub soil into sandy loam.

We used to go out to the city parks and golf courses and collect
nightcrawlers. Brought them home and put them in a container of coffee
grounds and cornmeal. Kept them hale and hearty and apparently the fish
loved the taste.

Memories from 60 years ago :-).

:0

Besides gathering night crawlers; a cane pole, hook, line, sinker and
cork bobber, we always took along broom and/or a straw hat.

Either of the latter two were all you needed to catch grasshoppers; and
the sac-au-lait and bass loved live grasshoppers in the spring and summer.

.... fishing for free, nothing like it. Catching your dinner was a rite
of passage and fun to boot.

AAMOF, I didn't know you could even buy "bait" until I was about 14 and
living in Texas. By then we'd graduated to a $10 Zebco spinning combo.
That rig, and yellow Shyster's, which you could buy for a quarter at the
counter of any country, crossroads grocery store, would catch you all
the largemouth bass you could carry from a farmer's stock tank.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010