Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?

On 2012-06-13, wrote:

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

Anyone know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

.....which inlcudes links to coleman fuel and naptha.

Also, google "dual fuel" camp stoves/lanterns. Coleman still makes
'em, as does MSR and Britelyt:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Du...-Stove/9870596
http://www.backcountry.com/msr-dragonfly-stove

....and lanterns:

http://www.coleman.com/product/229-725
http://www.britelyt.com/prod1.htm

If you use propane and jes have a stove someone gave you, whataya got
to lose. Try some unlead gas. At worst something will clog up. Last
I knew, Coleman had actual service centers that would rebuild and/or
repair their stoves/lanterns. If they still exist in this online
world, you could have the old one retrofitted with new dual fuel (say
five time, fast!) parts.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!