Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can a "weed-and-feed" product save a weedy lawn?

On Jun 13, 9:41*am, "
wrote:
On Jun 12, 1:41*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jun 12, 12:49*pm, wrote:

On Monday, June 11, 2012 4:46:22 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I can line up labor from various sources to help the owner out with
tilling, seeding, watering, etc. but asking for actual cash for top
soil and other rmajor treatments is not going to work.

The homeowner's desires, and her budget, are mutually exclusive.

Not if her desire is a not much more than a somewhat decent looking
yard that is not being taken over by broad leaf weeds, which is what
is happening now.

The amount of weeds has increased substantially since she overseeded
some large bare spots, especially where the plow dug up a section near
the street. Since seeding that area and tossing some extra seed here
and there, she's been watering twice a day to keep the new seed
moist.

The new seed in the larger bare spots is coming in nicely, but the
weeds (especially the broad leafs) are loving all that extra water
too.

That's one reason why seeding in the Spring is not the best time
and now it's really nuts, unless you can't avoid it. *If you seed in
the
Fall, there is a lot less competition from weeds, plus you have
declining temps, cool nights, that diminish the need for watering.

I weeded a significant amount of broad leaf weeds from the perimeter
of the bare spot by the road and along the edge of the driveway where
water tends to collect. As I was pulling weeds I noticed how many
clumps of the broad leaf weeds, as well as other types of weeds, could
be found here and there through out the lawn.

Pulling weeds disturbs the soil and provides a place for weeds
to grow. *Combined with the watering, it's a vicous cycle.

That's when I started wondering what it would take eliminate the
various varieties of weeds and help the grass fill in, thus my
question about weed and feed products. I've never tried them since
SWMBO hasn't wanted them used on my yard because of the kids. I've
been able to manually keep up with the weeds so my lawn is at least OK
to look at, but she may be relenting on the use of chemicals now that
the kids are out of the house. I think she wants to wait and see how
the (not next door) neighbor's lawn turns out if I choose to go that
route.

I've always believed a tank sprayer is the most effective
because you can put the product right where it's needed
and avoid covering the whole lawn. *But if the lawn is largely
covered with weeds, I would be OK with using a granular,
product.- Hide quoted text -

My neighbor, part of whose front lawn touches mine, uses a granular
product at least once a year. He spread a white granular product about
a month ago.

The propety line is distinct between his lawn and mine. His section is
green, thick and essentially weed free. Mine, not so much.

I think that's one of the reasons SWMBO is relenting on the use of
chemicals. When you stand in front of my house, you would not know
that I don't own my whole front yard. However, because of the way the
property line runs, part of what looks like mine is actually my
neighbor's. We have this trianguler section of lush lawn (his) that
takes up about 10% with the other 90% being my less-than-lush, but not
bad looking, lawn. I think after all these years she'd like there to
be less of a line of demarcation so she's OK with adding something to
improve the look of our lawn.

When I mow, I mow his section so the whole front is even. When he mows
he only does his 10% section, which is understandable. SWMBO says I'm
nuts for mowing his section while I say the extra 10% doesn't bother
me and I'd rather it all be even (at least height wise) when I'm done.